Last Weekend I…

It was the morning of Election Day, and I was itching with excitement as I rolled out of bed and realized that I would be voting in approximately one hour. Turning 18 years old was exciting but it seemed slightly overrated until today.

Today would be the day where I would prove my existence as a mature adult, ready to shape the future of Virginia by casting my vote.

As I drove up to Chapel Square I was expecting to wait awhile before I could tap my fingers across the electronic screen. I was pleasantly surprised to find no one in line so I went right to the table where I presented my voting registration card.

A pleasant older man handed me my ballot and proceeded to point me in the direction of a free chair. I was slightly surprised to see the paper ballot because I was expecting to vote electronically.

I was still excited and proceeded to sit in a boxed off space where I quietly and quickly filled in the bubbles for the candidates of my choice. Who knew filling in empty circles would be so satisfying?

I slid my ballot into the scanner, accepted the long awaited “I Voted” sticker and left the polling station as a smile of contentment swept across my face. Last weekend I, Jennifer Oakes, voted.