Skins, UK version vs US

Many students who have been exposed to the MTS’s “Skins” have no idea that it is only a less controversial adaptation of the UK version of Skins. The “Skins” television series aired on MTV and has been a huge hit among teenage viewers.

Parents of teenagers and other adults argue over the extremely controversial ideas that are involved in “Skins;” such as drugs, underage sexual activity, and alcohol abuse. The Parents Television Council (PTC) is one organization that argues for more appropriate content on television. PTC argues that “Skins” has violated state and local laws concerning child pornography and exploitation.

Compared to its debut, ratings have decreased from the negative publicity, because of its controversial views. The second episode drew almost 1.6 million viewers which is less than half of the 3.3 million who tuned in for the debut.

Skins follow 6 teenagers in their last two years before college, as they go through mental and physical issues; such as dysfunctional families, mental illness, sexual orientation identity, and substance abuse.
In England, the show is phenomenally popular and is now going into its fifth season. Like other English hits, such as the “Office,” producers hope to have the same amount of popularity from “Skins” that is seen in the UK. However, US producers and writers have made many changes and have faced several critics who have previously seen the UK version.
Changes include the UK version’s homosexual male named Maxxie, that was changed into a homosexual female named Tea. Cassie, who faces anorexia, has also been changed to Cadie, who does not have eating disorders but faces mental issues like Cassie does.

“I kind of like the US ‘Skins’ more because I can relate to it since they are from America. The UK version is more suited to those in the UK,” freshman Francisco Lam said.
Though some changes have been made to suit viewers of America, the teenage audience seems to have had mixed feelings about it.
“I am more familiar with the American ‘Skins,’ but I still like the English version because the acting is a lot better and more interesting,” sophomore Tran Do said.

While the few changes between “Skins” make a difference for those who have seen both the UK and the US versions, the series is a hit in both countries. Overall, even after changes, the US “Skins” has been popular and might reach the UK version’s popularity level that the producers seek.