Annual STAND benefit concert today

Looking to contribute to a great cause? The Students Take Action Now Darfur (STAND) Benefit concert strives to stop global genocide. Tonight’s performances including Oh! Satellite, Townhouse, Paula Naanou, the step team and dance team meet to rehearse their routines for the upcoming show.

STAND organization tries to raise awareness and money for the different genocides that are happening in the world today. All the money you donate though your $7 ticket goes to the STAND organization and ends up in the hands of communities in need.

“It’s supporting such a great cause and there are many people that are in need of help and with their [student] support, we can make an impact on their lives,” STAND president Anais Flores said.

Last year, the concert raised about $800, which was all donated to the Genocide Intervention Network. This organization works closely with world leaders and anti-genocide activists in the fight against genocide worldwide by creating a permanent anti-genocide constituency. Countries such as Sudan and the Democratic Republic of Congo are the focus areas in reducing mass genocide.

“STAND is a wonderful, wonderful group and I would do anything to help out,” psychology teacher Katie Gould said. She will be singing “Travelin’ Solider” by Bruce Robison and “I Want to Hold Your Hand” by the Beatles. There will be ten performances on Jan. 20 at 7 p.m. in the auditorium, all of which are students and teachers of AHS.

“There are moments when helping with STAND feels like a lot of work on top of teaching, but I’m reminded that organizations like STAND highlight that every human being has dignity and I hope that students will come to support the concert,” sponsor Amy Graham said.

It’s still not to late to help contribute your efforts. STAND welcomes new students to help make posters, sell tickets and attend their meeting Jan. 18 after school in room 265. “We welcome newcomers anytime,” Graham said. STAND also hopes to educate teenagers on what’s happening around the world because many of them do not know. With last year’s achievements, STAND officers hope to bring the same entertaining show.

“All the performances were amazing, some singers even wrote their own songs that relate to your life,” treasurer Visoda Heng said, “you’re just in a room full of people who care to help others, and it’s pretty astonishing to see the amount of students that would go to the concert rather than hang out with their friends on a Friday night.”