61st Oscars Preview

61st Oscars Preview

Jude Nanaw, Co-Editor in Chief

First created in 1929, the Academy Awards, also known as the Oscars, were vastly different from today’s event that is filled with glitz and glamour. When it was first created, the Oscars wasn’t a televised show at all, but rather a private black-tie dinner that celebrated the achievements of actors and directors.

As the Oscars have rolled around once more this year, the event has stirred up its share of controversy. The awards show drew criticism for removing several categories from the televised show. Instead, the four categories of cinematography, film editing, makeup/hairstyling, and live action will be featured during commercial breaks.

Previous Oscar winner actor Russell Crowe took aim at the Academy Awards slamming the decision as “fundamentally stupid.”
Nevertheless, students are looking forward to the event on Feb. 24 as multiple major films and a number of A-List actors are nominated for awards across the board. Movies that have received a lot of buzzes and set box office records such as Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody are up for awards as well.

“I’m excited for the Oscars because I’m hoping to see Black Panther win the award for Best Picture,” senior Ruth Seyoum said. “Even though I’d prefer for Black Panther to win, I could see A Star is Born winning the category.”

Additionally, Green Book, Vice, BlacKkKlansman among other films are also nominated for Best Picture.

Alongside the Best Picture category, there a number of high profile actors and actresses nominated for the Best Lead Actor and Best Lead Actress awards categories, respectively. The Best Actor nominees are headlined by Christian Bale in Vice and Bradley Cooper in A Star is Born in company with Rami Malek’s performance in Bohemian Rhapsody.

“I think Rami Malek is the best actor nominated from the category,” senior Danica Tran said. “Bohemian Rhapsody was really good and so was his performance.”

Best Lead Actresses nominated include Lady Gaga in A Star is Born and Melissa McCarthy is Can You Ever Forgive Me alongside Olivia Coleman from The Favourite.

Awards are not only distributed to actors on Oscars night, but directors are given their share of praise as well. Nominees for the Best Director category include Spike Lee for BlacKkKlansman, Pawel Pawlikowski for Cold War, Yorgos Lanthimos for The Favorite, Alfonso Cuaron for Roma and Adam McKay for Vice.

“I thought that Ryan Coogler from Black Panther should have been one of the nominees for Best Director,” Seyoum said.
All eyes will be on the red carpet when the 91st installment of the Academy Awards kicks off from the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.

About the Writer
Jude Nanaw, Co-Editor in Chief

Senior Jude Nanaw is the current Co-Editor in Chief of The A-Blast. He has been on staff for four years where in previous years he has held the positions...