Spirit week-ness needs a cure

We got spirit yes we do.  We got spirit, how about you?  Of course we have spirit here at AHS, but the question is, do we really show it?  Every year, I anticipate the festivities of spirit week, in which students get to break up the normal school routine by wearing silly outfits, building tissue paper floats and dancing to their heart’s content at the homecoming dance.

I expect to walk in on Wacky Tacky Day and be surrounded by students in `80s garb, neon leggings, plastic bracelets and Chuck Taylors.  I always feel a pang of disappointment when, as I push through the doors of jock lobby, I only spot a few people dressed like me.

“A lot of people I know just don’t participate in Spirit Week.  It just seems like people don’t embrace school spirit like they used to,” said senior Connor Volk.

Ex-officio leadership teacher of three years Abbie Kahn said, “It always seems to be the same people from each class that wear the red and white, go to homecoming, and build the float during spirit week.”

Participation in spirit week and homecoming events has seemed to decrease more each year since I have been here, and there is no clear remedy for this Spirit week-ness. What is obvious though is that Spirit Week needs to be reevaluated so that it appeals more to the strong pride in culture that is dominant at our high school.

“In trying to add appeal to Spirit Week, we should reach out to different populations and to the diversity found here in Annandale,” said Kahn.

“Whenever you attend an event that has to do with culture, the pride that AHS students show in their country is astounding.  If we could somehow build on that pride, participation in Spirit Week would definitely grow.”

Of all the events that AHS holds every year, Heritage Night receives the most spectators.  Students jump at the opportunity to flaunt the traditional and unique aspects of their culture at Heritage Night, so why would the same not be true if we incorporated cultural identity into Spirit Week?

“I think that if we at least had one day out of Spirit Week that had to do with heritage, a lot more kids would want to take part.  If you think about it, culture is the only thing that almost everyone has an interest in,” said junior Diana Herring.

Sports, dancing and fashion are the interests that are guaranteed to be touched upon every Spirit Week.  But at a school with such extreme diversity, it is astounding that culture is never a factor in the spirit days, float building, or dance themes.  Picture this: if we found a way to incorporate heritage into the homecoming festivities, we would be uniting the masses.

At first glance, one may think that by focusing on diversity, Spirit Week would be straying from its traditional cause.  In reality, we would be celebrating the diversity of our school, which brings a unique sense of spirit to each student and the community.  With a pinch of tradition and a dash of culture, AHS’s case of Spirit Week-ness would be sure to clear up right away.