Beware of the microtrend

Fashion is changing faster than ever, and microtrends are the culprit. Microtrends are fashion trends that spread fast and become unpopular just as fast.

“Microtrend” is a newly coined term that only exists because of the ability of the fast fashion industry to mass-produce items at such a high rate. Before the age of fast fashion, trends stuck around for much longer.

The whole point of fashion is that it’s personal, and everyone can wear whatever they want. Microtrends defeat that idea, and everyone ends up wearing the same thing and then deciding it’s ugly two seconds later.

Microtrends fuel the fast fashion industry by popularizing pieces that won’t last in people’s closets. Once the microtrend is “out,” all of those clothes that were mass-produced end up in landfills, only to move on to the next new thing.

These short-lived trends should be avoided at all costs, not only for the sake of the environment but also for the sake of originality and uniqueness.

Microtrends are specific; rather than a whole brand microtrend-ing it’s normally a specific item or style. Colored and patterned tights were “in” for about a month, padded headbands caught the attention of girls for a short time, and of course, the viral lace corset from Urban Outfitters is a microtrend that claimed thousands of fashion victims.

Most recently, ribbons have taken over the fashion scene. People have been tying light pink bows to everything they own. Many have even started replacing their shoelaces with ribbons. The fast fashion industry has latched onto this new microtrend, and now you start to see ribbons popping up in big brands like Kimchi Blue and Pacsun as well as fast fashion companies like Shein and Cider.

Being able to identify a microtrend will save you the expressive individuality that comes with fashion itself; it’ll also save you some money. One part of fast fashion that people like is that it’s affordable. Buying cheap, single-use outfits and falling into the trap of microtrends may seem like the more cost-conscious option, but in the end, you’ll end up spending more than you would on staple pieces.

The best way to avoid microtrends and the fast fashion industry is to thrift. Thrifting has become a popular hobby for teens. Buying second-hand is better for the environment because you’re buying clothes that have already been sold and discarded rather than supporting the industry and mass production.

Avoiding fast fashion entirely and building a wardrobe of dependable pieces makes sure that you don’t let microtrends take over your closet.