Ambition trumps morality for student

A 4.00 GPA at MIT and a perfect 1600 SAT score got Adam B. Wheeler into Harvard University.

The only problem? It was all a lie.

Wheeler, 23, is a Delaware native who allegedly lied his way into the most prestigious and well-known university in the nation, and landed over $45,000 in research grants, English prizes and financial aid for work that he did not do.

Wheeler now faces over 20 charges of larceny, identity fraud, falsifying endorsement and approval and pretending to hold a degree.

Wheeler’s history of excessive lying was revealed when he was a senior at Harvard, and tried to apply for the prestigious Rhodes and Fulbright Scholarships.

While reviewing his application, English Professor W. James Simpson found that Wheeler’s work was nearly identical to that of Professor Stephen Greenblatt, a fellow English professor at Harvard.

The university then launched a full-scale investigation which yielded shocking results.

The laundry list of his lies is so long and amazing that it can’t be fit in this article.

Wheeler falsified almost everything, from his GPA, to his school, to his recommendations; in short, nearly every single piece of information on his resume and transcript was fabricated or stolen.

It is as if Adam Wheeler never existed, he was just a collage of other people’s works and achievements.

Yes, this guy was horrible in the way he acted, and he lied frequently and without guilt; almost to the point of it being pathological.

However, you can’t deny that Harvard is to blame for this incident as well.

The very thought that the best educational institution in the world accepted a student with a resumé full of lies is ridiculous.

Schools should require that the student bring proof of their achievements and phone the contacts on the resumé , not take that they are all for granted.

It’s not uncommon for a student to stretch the truth a little on their college resumé  or application.

However, while these white lies are usually exaggeration, Wheeler’s actions were much more severe and demonstrated his blatant deception and fabrication of evidence.

With the internet entering the fray, there should be no excuse for people getting away with plagiarism.

Technology is so advanced now that most works can be vindicated from accusations of plagiarism with one Google search.

I understand that Harvard had over 30,000 undergraduate admissions to look over, but the ones that they accept should be placed under a little more scrutiny to prevent this from happening again.

Even though the man’s actions were despicable, he’s garnered a lot of attention and fans.

Harvard students have begun selling ‘Free Adam Wheeler’ t-shirts with a picture of his falsified and ridiculously exaggerated resumé  on the back.

Students say they have to give him some credit. No ordinary man can fool education institutions and falsify documents to the extent that the smartest people in the world couldn’t identify them.

They say that his actions were like that of a spy or mastermind, and would make a good movie.

Regardless of what the students think, the man cheated his way through life and now he’s facing jail time.

It’s good to see another fine example of karma.