Boys State Showcases Virginia’s Best

Governor School is an interesting opportunity to meet new people.

Wake up at 6 am. Make your bed. Take a shower. Brush your teeth. Put on a uniform of a special t-shirt, a lanyard, and navy blue shorts. Gather with your fellow residents, and march on to breakfast. Left. Left. Left right left.

Although Boys State is known to be an enriching and educational opportunity for students to learn about American Government, many of its participants would more readily compare it to boot camp.  Participants have to remain in uniform throughout the whole week, and need to carry  a lanyard around their neck.

When I first came into Boys State, I did not know how military-centralized it would be. Many of the students I met with were either involved or had been involved with the ROTC at their schools, and had parents that served in the military.

Boys State followed a schedule. Students attended sessions and seminars from prestigious and experienced speakers throughout the day. Speakers included Virginia Senators, House Representatives, Virginia Supreme Court Justices, Virginia House of Burgesses Members, the Attorney General, Lieutenant Governor, and Governor of Virginia.

Each speaker gives a brief overview of what they do and how important his or her job is to Virginia’s government. Afterwards, students were allowed to question some of Virginia’s highest elected officials. These Q & A sessions allowed students to ask the speakers questions about anything.

Even though these seminars were the highlights of the day, there was still much to do. Students had the opportunity to take extracurricular classes at Boys State. Classes like Mock Trial, Parliamentary Procedures, CPR training, Journalism, Football, Soccer, Basketball and more were offered.

Perhaps the greatest motivation that participants of Boys State had was pride. Each Boys State citizen was placed in one of 16 cities. These cities would gain points from particular accomplishments, like winning the football championship or successfully defending a plaintiff in mock trial. This Hogwarts House Cup-esque competition definitely brought spice to every event, as cities would come up with creative signs and chants to show their city love.

Throughout the myriad of events that happen everyday, there were elections. There were a variety of positions that people could run for, from the city chaplain, to a Boys State Senator, to the Governor of Boys State.

I had the pleasure of being elected and representing 800 of Virginia’s finest high school students as their Boys State Lieutenant Governor. The campaigning and debating was extremely hard and taxing, and I now understand the significance of the job and title. I spent about 6 hours a day campaigning, I cannot imagine how a middle-aged man can conduct a 100-hour per week campaign. Boys State has shown me how demanding a politician’s life can be.

Boys State was a tremendous experience. Many of the people I met with, I still am in touch with today. I highly recommend Boys State to any individual, especially if they wish to work in public service in the future.