Pro/Con: FCPS’ new policy for snow days

Con: Virtual school on a snow day is a bad decision

FCPS recently announced that after five snow days this school year, on days canceled due to inclement weather, we will learn virtually. Having used up all five of our snow days, this is the reality we face.

Immediately, problems arise. What if the power goes out? Though schools provide students and teachers with any essential technology they are lacking in the days before forecast snow, that cannot stop a tree weighed down by snow from falling on a power line.

Teachers would have to take care of their children and teach at the same time. When we were learning fully virtually last year, this is how it always was. However, now that we are back in-person and have been so for a while, it will be harder to switch to online learning, particularly for little kids.

Ultimately, and what really makes all this stink, is that having school on a snow day ruins the fun. It’s damaging, really. Does FCPS superintendent Scott Brabrand have no heart? High school is, or is supposed to be, the fun time of your life. It’s what you look back on. And when you do so, you’re not going to be thinking about the time you learned the law of cosines in math, but when school was canceled and you played in the snow with your siblings.

Snow days are not very often or have such an impact on our learning that the county should take these measures. Snow days are a blip in the course of the year. Is it really worth it to make the entire county switch to online learning for a day? For a couple days? It would be an utter waste of a day when it would be one anyways. Please let us have snow days back.