What Sikhism means to me

My religion is called Sikhism and it was created in the 15th century. It is the fifth-largest organized religion in the world and one of the most steadily growing.

Like most religions, Sikhs gather at the temple called a gurdwara, which translate directly to the “gateway to god,” every Sunday. As a child I have routinely been going to the Sikh temple; however it is also not mandatory to attend the sermons.

Sikhs must have control over one’s internal vices and be able to be constantly immersed in virtues clarified in the Guru Granth Sahib (holy scripture). A Sikh must also have the courage to defend the rights of all who are wrongfully oppressed or persecuted because of religion, color, caste or creed.

The principal belief of Sikh’s revolves around faith and justice in one god. The followers of Sikhism follow the teachings of the ten Sikh gurus, or prophets, as well as the Holy Scripture.

My faith has caused me to not believe in the caste system and not believe that someone should be seen higher or lower because of a last name or rank. Sikhism does not have major requirements such as mandatory prayer or religious codes therefore it is easier for me to follow my faith.

My faith has been implemented on me since I was young; however it has not been a major factor in my moral outlook. The one thing that has impacted me with is having self-control and helping me prioritize my decisions.