Make meaningful connections through sports

Andrea Rivera-Perez
AHS’ varsity field hockey team huddle before their big game against Meridian High.

Everyone’s heard how fun sports are to play and how good they are for your physical health, but what you may not know is how much of the fun takes place off of the field, or how much it improves athletes’ state of mind. 

The relationships made on sports teams are a big part of this. Teams practice together almost every day, and even have team dinners at someone’s house or Chick Fil A.  

“We have so much fun whenever we are together,” said sophomore field hockey player Lily Rumph.

An example of a sports team finding a silver lining together is on September 9th. The field hockey team had just finished their first tournament game and it started to thunder. They were told to go to the gym and that their next game would be postponed. The team ate their lunches, talked, and eventually ran around the gym when the wait became longer. They found out an hour or two later that their game was canceled, much to the players’ disappointment. However, it was so much fun to hangout. Soon they were called to the gym to clean up and get their stuff back. They made their way to the front of the school to get on the bus but the driver had left. She wasn’t answering the phone or responding to emails. Despite many efforts to contact her she was nowhere to be found. didn’t know when she was going to come back so we waited for a couple of minutes but since there was lightning they went back inside. They ran around the halls, goofed around in the wrestling room and just hung out. What would usually be an unfortunate situation was turned into the best and coolest team bonding experience. “I enjoyed the Chantilly tournament when we got stuck at the school because It was a great way to connect and make my bonds stronger with my teammates.” said sophomore Lily Flores

Student athletes argue their sports are key to making their high school experience better and involving people in their communities.

“There are definitely ups and downs of playing sports while in high school but I think having a team that supports each other through everything makes it so much better,” Rumph said. “I also feel connected to other athletes, creating a larger community.” 

Rumpf isn’t the only one who agrees that relationships with teammates are major for fostering belonging. 

“I started freshman year to make friends and I did exactly that,” said junior Sara Nagle. “Without it I wouldn’t have some of the friends I have right now.”

Nagle is a perfect example of how important and useful sports are. It can be very challenging to find common ground with people around the school and there’s another way sports are convenient. 

“The connections I have made through sports have always been significant to me. Playing on a team has helped me connect with people in a way that school can’t. Connections through sports made it special because we share the love for our sport and can connect that way,” said junior volleyball player Christine Mahoney. 

Sports don’t only create friendships, they can also connect students with mentors. Coaches give insight on how to better your game, how to work as a team, and how to improve your technical skills. Coaches are not just there to give advice on the game. They uplift and inspire their athletes, help them through tough times and push them to be their best selves. “Whenever I’m down I can always go to see coach Harrell, she’s really great.” said Rumph. Coaches are essential to bring the whole team to its fullest potential and create the amazing community and environment that are sports.