Students mark beginning of a new year with Jewish holiday, Rosh Hashanah

As a symbol for the coming of a sweet New Year it is tradition to eat apples and honey for Rosh Hashanah.

On Sunday, Sept. 16 the Jewish holiday Rosh Hashanah, which means “Head of the Year,” will begin. Rosh Hashanah starts at sundown and celebrates the beginning of the New Year. Rosh Hashanah is a more internal celebration rather than external celebration. This holiday makes you more connected with God and reflects on decisions you’ve made within the past year and helps with what decisions you’ll make in the upcoming one.

“I’m really looking forward to spending time with family and praying for a healthy and prosperous New Year,” 10th grade health teacher and sponsor of the Jewish club, Gabriel Romano, said.

Rosh Hashanah is the beginning of the “High Holy Days.” It starts the new Jewish year called “the first of Tishri,” which is in mid-September or early October. The celebration differs from normal celebration on January 1. The Jewish community celebrates this special holiday with their friends and family by going to the synagogue and is the day when many people pray and wish for a successful future.

On Sept. 25, the Jewish community celebrates another big holiday known as “the Day of Atonement,” Yom Kippur. Yom Kippur is the last day of the “High Holy Days.” Just before the eve of this holiday, a feast is served in the late afternoon. On this Jewish holiday, Jews fast, they don’t go to work, or attend school. The day of Yom Kippur is the day to be at peace with God and oneself.

“[Both Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are to be a time for deep thought, self-examination, and prayer,” Romano said. “All of which are hard to do.”