AHS recognizes MYP Certificate recipients

“I feel a sense of accomplishment,” junior Caroline Kane said as she held her certificate in her hand. This was the feeling all around Clausen Hall this morning as 30 students received awards for their participation in the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program.

FCPS Cluster 3 Director, Dr. Krill, congratulates each student as they come forward to recieve their award.

According to IB MYP coordinator, Christine Loop, IB MYP “is a rigorous internationally based program that aims to develop internationally minded, highly competent global citizens of the 21st century.” Students typically begin the program in the eighth grade, and complete it in the tenth grade.

For the class of 2011, 11 students earned the MYP certificate, and 19 students received the record of achievement.

Looking back on it, many of the students who received recognition felt good about their decision to go for the certificate. “I participated in [IB MYP] because I wanted to get the best education that my school offered,” junior Lillian Singer said.

Singer continues, saying “It was worth it because I was recognized as a strong student among my peers.”

Junior Ashton Johnson agreed with Singer adding that “Sometimes it gets hard, and you really can’t see the long term, but if you stay with it and persevere it pays off.”

Loop also expressed joy in having these 30 students successfully completing the program. “I’m very proud that they are going to be the decision makers and future leaders of not just our nation, but of our world.”