FCCLA candy drive

Want to purchase a sweet treat for your sweetie? The Family Career and Community Leaders of America, FCCLA, is having its hand-made candies on sale on the first three late bus days in February. The FCCLA, founded two years ago, is a new organization. Their candy, ranging from $0.50 to $0.75, is back on sale by popular demand.

When asked about the club, sponsor Angela DeHart said, “It’s the Family and Consumer Science department’s after school leadership and service program.” DeHart is one of two sponsors alongside Kathy Esslinger. The group consists of six students at AHS, all of which are in the sophomore class. “We all started off as freshmen,” said Esrael Muche, 10. Muche’s the project manager of the group and is responsible for dealing with the progress of FCCLA’s events.

FCCLA meets regularly after school every Wednesday. Their current meetings are all about the candy sales. Pheben Muche, 9, has been helping FCCLA make these chocolaty treats. “I work with them to get community service, I enjoy working with the committee.”

Besides candy and their year round water sales, FCCLA has been planning other events. They kicked off this school year with a harvest and Halloween open meeting. AHS students enjoyed scary treats and festive activities. The open meetings usually are located in room 140, right next to the Bistro.

Recently, FCCLA had a homeless shelter drive. As for future events, they plan on having more open meetings. “We plan on having an open meeting where students can come and make crafts for their mothers, followed by a spring craft fair on March 24,” said FCCLA secretary Jerusalem Mekonnen, 10. The FCCLA also sells water for $0.50 year round.

Although FCCLA has many events, they still feel that they don’t have a focus. “We still plan on improving next year and we’re still looking for new people to join. “We’ve even started a Facebook page,” said Mekonnen. “If you like to build, FCCLA is the perfect leadership activity if you want to get on the ground floor,” said DeHart.