The Crucible comes to AHS

Everyone is rushing in and out, chatting, eating food, trying on costumes and practicing their lines. The affectionately named “Black Box” is bustling with the commotion of theater members just before one of their final rehearsals.

This weekend, the AHS theater department will be performing “The Crucible,” a play written by Arthur Miller about the Salem witchcraft trials of the 1690’s. The play was written as a response to McCarthyism, when the U.S. government blacklisted suspected Communists. “It’s really about human rights,” Theater director George Bennet said.

Bennett chose the play because of the government’s recent actions against human rights. “Since 9/11, rights have been taken,” Bennett said.

The dramatic and tragic plot-line of the play is something that many students have never experienced. It follows the witch trials, and the resulting hysteria, exploring how neighbors turn on against one another and accuse others of horrible deeds. “We’ve never really done anything really dramatic before. This is really testing people as actors,” senior John Odom said.

John Odom plays the lead roles of John Proctor, who is a Salem farmer who gets caught in a web of accusations and trials. “He’s a good man, who only made one mistake,” John Odom said of his character.

The play will not only test the actors’ dramatic capabilities, but also their patience. “It’s such a long play,” said junior Molly Sgrecci, the production’s stage manager.

The play consists of four acts, the length of which could pose a potential risk. “I would have preferred something shorter. I’m a little worried that all of the lines are not going to get memorized,” Sgrecci said.

Despite the fact that not all the actors know their lines as of yet, Bennett believes that everything will pull together by the first performance. “This is my third high school, and I know where we are. This’ll be a good performance,” Bennett said.

Most of the members involved expect an exciting and captivating performance, yet are worried about how their will get there. “The rehearsals have been a sort of disappointment,” said junior B.J. Odom who plays Reverend Hale, who at first believes in prosecuting so-called witches, but later undergoes a change of heart.

“There is a small group of people who are ready because they are dedicated. But the people with smaller roles are less dedicated and prepared,” John Odom said.

Those with smaller roles in the play have been allowed to join other clubs and activities while participating in the play. “I don’t want to force people to choose between drama and other activities,” Bennett said.

Whether prepared or not yet, the performance is expected to wow those who come to see it. “[“The Crucible” is] a very ambitious choice. I thought it would stretch them as actors,” Bennett said.

As the first performance draws near, theater members find themselves working harder to become more focused and ready. “When everyone’s focused we work really well together,” Sgrecci said.

John Odom agreed, saying that “people will start taking it seriously.”

“The Crucible” will be performed in the evening on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and will also have a Saturday matinee. Tickets will cost $6.00 dollars pre-sale in the cafeteria and cost $8.00 when bought at the door. “I know people will enjoy the show,” Bennett said.