New election system for SGA

SGA/SAC elections are a normal happening at AHS, but this year the SGA/SAC is trying something new.

Instead of having candidates run for specific offices, such as president or secretary, as they have done in the past, candidates will simply try to get as many people to vote for them as possible, in order to attain the highest position. “We’re trying something new and we’ll see how it works,” SGA/SAC sponsor Stephanie Harmony said.

During an interest meeting, Harmony explained to possible candidates what it takes to run for office and what they will have to do.

In this new system, the approved candidates will do their best to get people to vote for them and come election time, whoever gets the most votes will get the highest office.

This means that the people with the fifth most votes will become the three executive board members, the person with the fourth most votes will become treasurer, the person with the third most votes will become secretary and so on, ending with the person with the most votes as president.

For the most part, people are optimistic about this new system and think that it will work well. One of those people, sophomore Samir Shah, who is running for office, said, “I think this way is better because you don’t have to worry about what position you are going to run for.”

Candidates begin putting up their campaign fliers around the school Monday and are each allowed to hang one campaign banner in the cafeteria.

In addition to fliers and banners, on Thursday March 25, candidates will give a speech encouraging their peers to vote for them during R5 flex on Channel 6.

After the speeches conclude, voting will begin and will continue throughout Friday March 26, when the new holder of each office will be announced on the afternoon announcements.

Like last year, voting will be done through Blackboard and for students’ convenience, computers will be set up in the cafeteria on March 25 and 26 during all lunches for them to cast their vote. To vote on Blackboard, students just log on as they normally would and the option to vote will appear on their courses page.