ESOL gives a taste of Shakespeare

AHS’s Theatre Without Borders performed the play “As You Like It,” a romantic comedy by William Shakespeare, on May 6. English as a second language (ESOL) teachers Nick Liacopoulos and Leslie Chekin were in charge of the play. “As You Like It” was not the first dramatic play performed by the ESOL students. Theatre Without Borders allowed the ESOL students to work together and collaborate by producing a play and allowing them to learn about stage management and production. The cast and crew began to anticipate opening night after rehearsals started mid-February

This classical Shakespearean play is about the Duke Ferdinand, who has usurped power and money from his elder brother and banished him from the country. Ferdinand allowed Rosalind, the daughter of his brother, to stay in the court for his own daughter, Celia. Similarly, Oliver, the son of the late Sir Rowland de Bois, has snatched all inheritance from his younger brother, Orlando. This would prevent him from getting an education, and Oliver and Orlando get into a heated argument. Oliver arranges for Orlando to die during a match against Duke Frederick. During the match, which is overseen by Rosalind and Celia, love sparks between Orlando and Rosalind–but fate had other plans. Both end up leaving the country; Rosalind in search of her father and Orlando on the run from his brother and his twisted plan to kill him.

“A whole string of people fall in love…and there is a question of identity,” said Liacopoulos.

Theatre Without Borders has a partnership with Shakespeare Theater DC, which performed “As You Like It” in the fall, ultimately leading to its selection by the ESOL students. Shakespeare Theater DC sends actors who do workshops with the ESOL students and in the process, the students get a general good idea of what the play is about.

“The kids loved it,” said Liacopoulos. The group like to use classic plays that can be easily translated, like last year’s play “Romeo and Juliet.” Also, they are in the public domain, so there is no worry about breaking copyright laws.

Many of the performers were excited to present “As You Like It” because of the hard work they have put in and hope it will be a success. “I hope it comes out great because we have been working hard even though there have been many fights and disagreements,” said senior Kalinina Vergel.

“I like the fight scene…and definitely, I like the dance that we will be doing,” said junior Joel Pineda, who acted in the play.

The play, which is just over an hour long, was performed on May 6 at 7:30 p.m. with free admission, although donations were accepted.