Music department leaves

A feeling of devastation and sorrow swept through the cafeteria last year as administrators announced the sudden resignation of former band director Jack Elgin. Luckily, Nancy Glaser, Scott Niehoff, and several other teachers previously involved with AHS’ music program, were able to act as temporary replacements for Elgin and lead the band. Throughout the rest of the year, administrators searched for a new band director. After a long hunt, AHS was able to welcome Mark Carter to the staff.

After eleven years of teaching band classes, directing the marching band, and performing in plays, Elgin’s exit seemed horrific. He left a hefty gap where his position used to be, and students were left wanting a director similar to Elgin. However, Carter came in with a different style of teaching, and the shift between Elgin and Carter was hard for some students.

About a week ago, Carter announced his future resignation to each of his classes. His reasons for leaving, however, differ from those of Elgin. He described the reason for his departure as being “personal”. “[I’m resigning] because I have another opportunity.” He will be leaving at the end of the year. “It is the right decision for me,” said Carter.

“My greatest accomplishment was helping [the students] with transitions,” said Carter. He described how he was preparing the students for their next bridge between teachers. “I have kind of paved a little bit of a transition road in order for the band to continue,” he said. Students will be prepared this time for their band director’s departure, instead of dealing with a shocking and unexpected exit like Elgin’s.

“I think [the transitions] might be smoother [next year] because they have already gone through it once,” said freshman Andrew Riddle.

Carter will also be in touch with the new band director to help him with anything he needs. “I will probably be coming back a little bit just to see how things are going on,” said Carter. “I care a lot about my students so I want to make sure they get a smooth transition.”

The new band director will be chosen by a certain selection of people. This includes several administrators, FCPS board officials, and the Band Boosters president. After a job opening is posted and people have applied, the committee will conduct interviews.

The committee is looking for an experienced band director with a strong music background and a proven track record with high school groups. They would prefer someone that had received superior ratings at their prior school. “We are looking for someone that can continue the excellence that AHS has enjoyed in the past,” said Assistant Principal Pamela Gravitte.

In addition, chorus teacher Carleen Dixon is also leaving AHS. After her 16 years of teaching at AHS, she will be retiring at the end of the school year. “I am so sad. I am gonna miss her,” said junior Molly Sgrecci.

When reflecting on her past years, Dixon said that one of her greatest accomplishments was “dramatically improving the choral program to the point where it is recognizable throughout the state.” Another one of her sublime accomplishments was establishing the German Exchange Program. “It has literally changed peoples lives,” said Dixon.

Both Carter and Dixon have made imprints on the music program at AHS. Dixon built up 16 years of contributions to the school, whereas Carter had one year to make his mark. Nevertheless, they will both be remembered greatly by students, parents and their colleagues. “I will miss the enthusiasm of my students [and] watching them discover the joy of singing,” said Dixon.