AHS holds annual Special Education prom

On June 4, the Special Education department held its third annual Prom. The Prom was held during school from 11 a.m. till 1 p.m. Smiling faces and laughter filled the Clausen Hall as the students and volunteers danced and sang along with music, such as “Y.M.C.A.” and “Celebration.”

Floral decorations were spread throughout the room to match the theme of the event, a Garden Party. Tables of food were set up along the wall for students to snack on when taking a break from the dance floor. Students were also able to get their pictures taken in a designated photo area, which contained a lit arch covered in flowers with a background scene of an outdoor garden.

Christy Adair, the lead teacher of students with severe disabilities, organized this year’s Prom. Donations were accepted and fundraisers were organized to provide for the event. “What [was] not donated, the teachers provided,” said Adair.

Local DJ, Tom Saputo, provided music for the day’s event. Other volunteers included teachers and assistants from the Special Education department, Key Club, National Honor Society, and Peer Helpers. “I heard about it through NHS. I thought that it would be good for community service, and since I know some of the [students],” said sophomore Jerusalem Mekonnen. Volunteer hobbyist photographers captured the moments of the dancing and singing within the Prom.

“I think [the Prom] is wonderful,” said Robert Thompson, a Special Education teacher. “I like watching the peer interaction and the kids interacting with each other. And it’s so great to see them get up and dance.”

“It’s only once a year, but you can see there is hardly anybody without a smile on their face,” said Adair.