Freshmen attend orientation day

Fear, anxiety, nervousness, and excitement rush through their heads. This is the first day of high school, and for many freshmen all of these emotions are building up inside of them as they walk through the halls. Hundreds of new faces surround them as they try to navigate through their new environment. This is the place that they will be spending their next four years, and it is something completely new and exciting for them.

Luckily for the incoming freshmen, their first day at AHS is not their first experience in the school. On Friday, September 3, the school held Freshman Orientation Day. The day was designed to show the freshmen how to get to all of their classes and to introduce them to their teachers.

“I think it’s important because it’s a whole new world for them and their probably a little intimidated, so this day gives them a little boost of confidence for the first day of school,” said English teacher Kathleen Dion.

Many incoming students agree, and were looking forward to this helpful opportunity.

“It’s a good idea because you get to see all of your classes so you won’t get lost the first day and your teachers won’t yell at you,” said freshman Cristhian Molina.

AHS is a large school with an equally large student population, so confusion is very common for new students at the school. The class of 2014 is a record-breaking 672 students, and more students continue to be enrolled.

“This is the largest class we’ve had in a long time,” said Student Services Secretary Rose Ann McCourt.

AHS gets students from Edgar Allen Poe, Holmes, Robert Frost, Glasgow and private middle schools; all schools that are much smaller. The drastic change in size is quite a shock and an adjustment to many.

“I went to the same private school for 11 years, so this will be a lot different,” said freshman James Barker. “My old class was 36 people. It’s definitely a big change.”

The day consisted of an assembly in the auditorium to welcome the class of 2014. The auditorium was filled with a sea of eager faces. Director of Student Services Steve Sengstack introduced Mr. Ponton, who welcomed the class, followed by and introduction of the counselors. Mrs. Sims the cafeteria manager discussed cafeteria procedures, Angelo Hilios the Director of Student Sports discussed freshman sports and other activities, counselor Rebecca Lockard discussed the Big Atom Little Atom Program and representatives from AHS Leadership discussed preparing for high school.

“There are not many new beginnings,” said Sengstack. “You have a couple along the way and this is one of them.”

Throughout the presentation, the various members of the administration and school leadership covered a wide range of topics, from the “It’s not a lot to ask,” policy to flex. Ponton warmed the crowd up with a rousing cheer about our school.

“I want you to know that here at Annandale we’re a family,” said Ponton. “We’re here for you.”

Before dismissing the new students to their classes, Sengstack played a short video created by Alex Barker, an AHS alumni from 2006. The video talked about what it means to be an Annandale Atom.

After the assembly, the students got the chance to go to each class to meet their teachers. Each session was 15 minutes long, which provided teachers with the opportunity to introduce themselves and discuss their assigned topic.

“Usually they give us a script, which is nice. Each period has a specific topic,” said Dion.

While this was going on, parents of the Class of 2014 were invited to a meeting in Clausen Hall, where members of the administration welcomed them to the community. According to Dean of Students Hassan Mims, the meeting also served to show the parents that AHS is always willing to help the students and that the school has a variety of opportunities for their child.

After the trial-run of a average school day, the students went to the main gym for a spirit program. The marching band and cheerleaders both performed and warmed up the crowd. Mr. Sengstack asked all of the students to put on their new red t-shirts. The gym became a sea of red as the students posed for a picture. The day concluded at 10:40 as the sea of students filed out of the gym and onto their buses.

For many freshmen, orientation day is not the first time they have met some of their fellow students. Most sports began practicing in early August, giving freshmen the opportunity to bond with and meet new people.

“I made new friends so that I knew people ahead of time. And the coaches are some of the teachers I have,” said freshman Anouar Sakta, who is on the freshman football team.

Many freshmen felt that sports gave them a unique opportunity to prepare themselves for high school, one they wouldn’t had without sports. By the time school began, many had bonded and felt more comfortable with the idea of their first year.

“I probably know more than the other freshmen because I did an activity,” said freshman Stephen Read, who is a member of the AHS Marching Band.

Even though school was not in session when the practices were held, many of the school’s sport coaches tried to instill ideals in freshmen that would help them in high school.

“You have to have a C average to play football so it motivates me,” said freshman Simon Nguyn, who is also on the freshman football player.

As for orientation day, it seemed to be a smashing success among the freshmen.

“I was kind of motivating, with the video and stuff,” said freshman Nguyen Cao. “I think this is really helpful.”

Of all of the things they heard throughout the day, many freshmen responded well to Mr. Hilios’ speech about the school. As he talked, hundreds of intrigued faces watched him.

‘Starting today you are a true Atom,” said Hilios. “Atoms are the greatest thing there is.”