Hypnotist visits AHS tomorrow

Glossed-over eyes, blank stares and mind games are probably the first things that come to most people’s minds when they think of hypnosis. A clever hypnotist entrances his audience, manipulates his subject’s brain and makes a spectacle out of both. Besides old movies, carnivals and shows, though, how easy is it to really be able to experience hypnosis firsthand? For AHS, look no further than the upcoming hypnosis show by professional comedy stage hypnotist Jason Linett on October 20, sponsored by DECA.

During the show, which starts at 7 p.m. and costs eight dollars per ticket, Linett promises to create an “unforgettable experience with entertainment that is clean, safe and guaranteed to keep everyone laughing” according to his website. This event is very different than any put on in the past at AHS, and the show looks to be as exciting as it is unique.

Jason Linett is more than a stage hypnotist; he is actually a professional who studied at the National Guild of Hypnotists and is a certified Hypnotherapist. He places a strong emphasis on stress-free, fun entertainment, because some people’s perception of hypnotism is understandably linked with embarrassment and trickery.

“Students, teachers, friends and family in the audience may be selected to come on stage to become hypnotized and part of the show that evening,” said Lindsay Zivney, marketing teacher and DECA sponsor.

Hypnosis is based on audience involvement and while it may seem scary to get up on stage and let a hypnotist tamper with your mind temporarily, Linett assures this will not be the case.

“They are happy they volunteered, not embarrassed, and the audience enjoys the program without being offended,” Linett said.

“People should sit in the first two rows if they are looking to be hypnotized,” said sophomore Madeline de Mello, a DECA member. This prospect of being hypnotized sounds very appealing to some AHS students and staff, who are looking forward to the show.

“I want to see what it would be like to be hypnotized,” sophomore Jonathan Pratt said.

“It’ll be humorous,” de Mello said.

Others are keen on just watching and enjoying the show.

“I personally am looking forward to having a good night out full of laughs and seeing some people I know get pulled up on stage. I definitely do not want to volunteer, but will thoroughly enjoy laughing and pointing at everyone else on stage that night,” Zivney said.

DECA chose Linett for their fundraiser because they were looking for something lively and different to raise money. Holding a hypnosis show will have higher appeal and be more interesting, they presume, than an average car wash or bake sale.

“DECA chose the hypnotist, Jason Linett, as a new fundraiser to do something different and involve more AHS students,” said Zivney. The money from this fundraiser will help fund their spring competition trips to Orlando, Florida and Norfolk, Virginia.

“We were looking for something fun and exciting, and this is entertaining and gets us more money,” de Mello said. “It will be beneficial to everyone.”