Honors choir prepares for VMEA

“When I found out I jumped up and down,” senior Molly Segrecci said about her acceptance into the Honors Choir program.

The six seniors who proved themselves vocally skilled enough to be accepted into the Honors Chorale are Lydia Pion, Molly Segrecci, Anne Hruskoci, Joey Mazzara, BJ Odom and Elliot Kiemel. These advanced singers will participate in the Virginia Music Education Association (VMEA) state-wide chorus performances from Nov. 17 to Nov. 19.

“I am really looking forward to meeting new people,” Senior Elliot Kiemiel said about the VMEA conference. According to their website, VMEA is a “non-profit organization whose purpose is to provide mutual helpfulness to its membership and promote the advancement of music education through schools and other education institutions.”
Molly Sgrecci plans to major in music education, making her an ideal candidate for the VMEA program.

“I am most excited about the two spirituals we’re singing. The conductor wrote both of them and I love singing spirituals,” Sgrecci said. “[I have been singing] my whole life. My entire family is involved in music.”

Before auditioning in October, students who endeavored to become members of the exclusive choral group studiously prepared for their try-outs.

“I prepared by looking at the music when we got it right away and practicing with my voice teacher,” senior Lydia Pion said.

The website also states, “The Mission of the Virginia Music Educators Association is to provide leadership and professional development to ensure quality music education.”

“I went out to eat with my family when I made it and was really excited [to become part of the program],” Pion said.