Students and Teachers prepare for Relay for Life

Over the past few decades, medical experts have collaborated to find the cure for cancer. But doctors and scientists aren’t the only ones trying to find a cure.  Many students have dedicated themselves to charity work to raise money.
Relay for Life, a marathon created by the American Cancer Society raises money to fund cancer research and awareness. Many AHS and other FCPS students plan to participate in the even which will take place on May 21.
“[Relay for Life’s goal is to] raise awareness about the world’s notorious diseases,” sponsor of Relay for Life junior Daniel Park said. Although running for hours is hard work; Park said that he is willing to contribute in order to achieve the satisfying feeling he believes comes from helping a good cause.Relay for Life sponsors also hold different activities such as the Cancer Scavenger Hunt, Slip Slop Slap Wrap races and the Skin Cancer Word Searwch. Each game is designed to help people learn more about cancer.
“Personally, I like to do Relay for Life because it’s an opportunity for me to make a difference in the world and see the impact my efforts can make,” senior Mary Anne Kavjian said. “At Relay, there is a survivor’s lap in which any cancer survivor is welcome to walk the first lap of the event.”
People who are fighting cancer run, walk, jump rope and do many other physical activities to help keep up their heart rates and inspiration.
“Because I’m a part of the club [Just World] I wanted to help out,” junior Kelsi Gardner said.
Relay for Life is a fun way for students to raise money for a fatal world issue; demonstrating that seriousness is not the only demeanor choice when coping with sickness.