Anticipation builds up for overnight cancer walk

Medical experts have spent the past decades striving to find the solution to cancer, but they are not the only ones making a difference. Many students and teachers are planning to collaborate together to participate in Relay For Life, an overnight relay-style event held at AHS on June 9 and 10, to raise funds to fight against cancer.

“I participated in this event last year and it was very emotional,” junior Hung Truong said. “I learned a lot about cancer and I recommend it to everyone.”

Relay For Life will last a duration of 12 hours this year, starting with the opening ceremony at 6:00 p.m. and ending with the closing ceremony at 6:00 a.m. The event lasts throughout the entire night, unlike other charity walks. People join teams and camp out at the walk sight. At least one representative from each team must be walking around the track for the duration of the event. Many students and teachers are forming teams and working on raising money.

“This is my first year participating and I am doing it with the Just World Club,” junior Andre Vaca said. “I am looking forward to helping raise a good amount of money.”

After the opening ceremony is initiated, the Survivors Lap will begin at 6:30 p.m. This is the invitation for people who have survived the battle against cancer to start off the relay by walking the first lap. This is done so the survivors can distinguish themselves and so all of the other participants can celebrate their victory. The Luminaria Ceremony will take over the event from there at 9:30 p.m., where personalized white luminaria bags are illuminated. These bags are placed along the track and in the bleachers to honor those who have fallen victim to cancer.

Relay For Life is a global event, taking place in 21 different countries. Almost four million people participate in the United States alone. It is organized by the American Cancer Society (ACS), a health organization devoted to eliminating cancer by raising awareness and funds for research.

The money raised through Relay For Life goes to multiple different programs. Some of these programs’ actions include providing college scholarships, motivational sessions, transportation to treatment centers and financial burden relief to cancer patients and survivors.

“I am actually in the process of raising money right now, so I am really looking forward to the walk,” Truong said.

Relay For Life’s slogan is “Celebrate. Remember. Fight Back,” which is exactly what students and teachers are devoted to accomplish for this upcoming event.