Pennies for Patients begins

Senior+Hung+Truong%2C+president+of+SNHS%2C+and+junior+Ahyeong+Park%2C+vice+president%2C+talk+about+Pennies+for+Patients.+
Dana Filipczyk
Senior Hung Truong, president of SNHS, and junior Ahyeong Park, vice president, talk about Pennies for Patients.

The Science National Honor Society (SNHS) is planning to raise $5,000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society through multiple events initiated by the annual campaign Pennies for Patients. The fundraiser will take place from Feb. 4 through March 1.

The campaign will be introduced with a presentation during Atom Time on Jan. 30 in the auditorium.

“Raising $5,000 is a very optimistic goal, but I think we can reach it,” SNHS Publicist and senior Katie Mock said. “We have a lot of good ideas and we are trying to market this campaign well.”

The main event is a coin collection competition, also knowns as a “penny war,” which will last the duration of the campaign. The donation collection boxes will be located in the cafeteria during all lunches. There will be different competition themes where the most money donated for a category will win: a gender war one week, a class war for two weeks, and a pie-a-teacher theme week. A faculty competition between the departments will also be held.

“We are trying to reach out to the community in an effective manner and make a strong public presence within our school,” SNHS Co-Sponsor and physics teacher Thomas Chorman said.

Another main fundraising event is Date for a Cure. This will be held on Feb. 13 during Atom Time in the upstairs gym, where junior and senior male students will be auctioned off for dates. An entrance fee of $3 is required in order to attend the event.

“We are trying to promote our events to the best of our ability and get large student involvement with all of them,” Mock said.

Other events SNHS is hosting involves a movie night, a Silverado’s night, bake sales and chocolate and roses sales. The movie night is to be hosted on Feb. 22. The admission fee is $5 and Toy Story 3 will be played. Chocolate will be sold for $3 each throughout the campaign, and roses will be sold during the week leading up to Valentines Day. Furthermore, there will be three bake sales after school on Jan. 30, Feb. 6 and 20.

SNHS officers and members are focused on promoting their campaign to reach $5,000, which is $2,000 higher than the goal they exceeded last year.

“I hope that people are willing to help out with our campaign and donate because this is for a great cause,” SNHS Vice President and junior Ahyeong Park said.

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society is an organization that funds research on finding treatments for blood cancers, and providing services and education to patients. SNHS is raising money in honor of Daniel Eisig, a 15-year-old boy diagnosed with Leukemia when he was 10, who is now cancer free and has been for over three years.

“This is why this fundraiser is so important, because our efforts help other patients like Daniel, who now have the chance to get better and beat cancer,” SNHS President and senior Hung Truong said. “Our goal is to raise awareness about these type of cancers around the Annandale community.”

SNHS has an online donation website account. Visit http://nca.sy.llsevent.org/AnnandaleHighSchool to make a donation.