Putting the Light in the “American Treasure” theme at the White House

Galilea Sejas, Arts Editor

Senior Alene Boghosian woke up as she would any other day and went on through her morning: riding the bus to school, attending her R1 class and her R3 top choir class; the only two classes she would be going to today because of the field trip that Annandale Singers are attending at the White House for the White House Christmas Tour.

On Nov. 29, AHS choir students are going to the White House to perform 10 of their songs in the White House to celebrate the holiday season. These songs include Here We Come A-Caroling arr. by Kirby Shaw, Lully, Lulla, Lullay by Philip WJ Stopford, White Winter Hymnal arr. Alan Billingsley, Deck the Hall arr. by John Rutter, Season of Light by Jacob Narverud by Pat-a-pan arr. by David Conte, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, arr. by Molly Ijames, Carol of the Bells by Pentatonix, In dulci jubilo by Matthew Culloton and Jingle Bells arr. by J. Pierpont.

Though they are singing in such a prestigious and notable location, they prepared for their performance as they would any other concert or gig; of course with a different audience.

“I think that it’s a great honor. I had a couple of kids say that they don’t want to go up and support the White House, but this event does not involve any political anything. This is an opportunity for us to share something that’s very positive and to put that into a place where there are negative things that are happening…to bring in some lightness in the White House” said choir teacher Patrick Vaughn.

Each Annandale singer had to fill out a simple form with their social security information and legal name in order to participate in the performance, but the performance was made possible with the help of two choir students’ parent, who is a staff photographer for the White House.

“Although [my mom] has been on and off throughout her years working there, she started interning for Ronald Reagan when she was 19 years old. Her job has told me that you don’t have to be the best at what you do to succeed. The key is being passionate and motivated, working hard, and having the right connections,” said senior Alene Boghosian.

Now, years later, Mrs. Boghosian was able to offer the open slot for performers at the Holiday tour to our very own Annandale Singers, the top choir group in the school.

They were able to skip the application process to perform at the White House because of their invitation, and hopefully this won’t be the first and last year performing. Either way, it’s a true honor to not only perform at the White House in high school, but also being the first performers to kick-off the holiday tour.

“For the holiday tour, people are able to come walk through the White House and see all the various decorations. While that is happening, they have various musical ensembles, both instrumental and vocal that are doing concerts as people are walking through,” said Mr. Vaughn.

For most people, singing in such a place, surrounded by years worth of political figures, can be very nerve racking and a bit stressful, but the Annandale Singers have been preparing their various songs since the fall choir concert that took place at the beginning of this year.

“Being able to perform for the christmas tour can be very competitive, but I feel like our choir is in a good place right now to be able to sing these different songs in acapella,” said Boghosian, “I have full faith that we will put in our all when performing for the audience that we will have.”

Galilea Sejas, Arts Editor

Senior Galilea Sejas is the Arts Editor for The A-Blast and this is her second year on staff. She is an IB Diploma candidate and is fortunate enough to...