Softball falls in districts

It was a tough night for the varsity girls softball team. Everything they had worked towards during the season had come unraveled, and they were left only to think about what could have been as they walked off the field for one of the final times this year.

On May 21, the team took on the undefeated South County Stallions in the second round of the district tournament. All the odds seemed stacked against them, as South County was the clear favorite in the district and had already beaten them twice during the regular season.

Still, they entered the game confidently, knowing that if they could execute fundamental plays and put together some timely hits, they could defeat the Stallions and move on to the district finals.

But this was not the case. The Atoms were only able to score one run, which came in the fourth inning on an RBI single by junior Izzy Yaroch that brought sophomore Emily Krause in to score. Though it was their first run scored this year against the Stallions, it was nowhere near enough to beat the now four-year defending district champions.

“I don’t think we played to our potential,” said junior captain Kelly Hughes of the disappointing loss. “If we had come out playing like we should have, I think we could have won.”

Despite the tough loss, it was still a successful season for the Atoms. The team finished with ten wins and nine losses during the regular season, and is looking to return as a strong contender for the district title next year.

“I think we have improved drastically throughout the season and have shown positive signs for the future,” said head coach Jennifer Hall.

Sophomore Jessica Hotter had a similar outlook on the season. “It’s been pretty good. We’ve definitely grown individually and as a team.”

And with only two seniors graduating this year, the Atoms should have plenty of talent and experience to come back strong next year.

“I think we can win districts for sure and do really well [next season],” said Hughes.

With so many returning players, the Atoms will have a good shot of winning the district championship next year and bringing the softball team its first district title since 2000.