Students react to start of NBA season

After a 149 day lockout, the NBA returned to start its regular season on Dec. 25. The NBA cut its season down to 66 regular season games, losing millions of dollars in revenue. Still, owners are set to make an additional two million dollars over the next ten years.

“I don’t think it was fair [for the owners to earn more money from the lockout] because the players work harder, therefore they deserve the benefit of getting paid more,” sophomore Danney Davalos said.

The Washington Wizards played their first game at the Verizon Center on Dec. 26 against the New Jersey Nets. Despite their optimistic outlook on a new season and new uniforms, the Wizards lost 84-90 after squandering an early 21 point lead.

“I think they were doing really well in the beginning and they had a big lead over the Nets, but they started to fall apart a little and it’s upsetting that they lost,” junior Christina Uglietta said. “It’s hard to say [how the rest of the season will be] after only seeing one game, but I’m hoping they will do well.”

Some watching the game may have noticed one Nets player in particular, Kris Humphries, the former husband of 72 days to reality TV star Kim Kardashian. Fans at the Verizon Center booed Humphries towards the end of the game.

“It was weird because I see him more as a reality TV star than an NBA player and it’s weird seeing him on the court,” Uglietta said. “I think he was booed because of how he acted on TV, but I think that it’s wrong of people to do so because his personal life is none of their business.”

Due to a lack of success from their hometown team, many AHS students are looking to other teams as fans.

“[I’m most excited to watch] the [Los Angeles] Clippers because [Chris] Paul will be throwing the alley-oop to [Blake] Griffin,” sophomore Noah Wolfenstein said.

Others are also excited to see Paul perform.

“I think the season will be exciting because of all the trades,” Davalos said. “I’m especially excited to see the L.A. Clippers because of Chris Paul.”

With the season limited to fewer regular season games, it will be exciting even more exciting for fans, as each game will be unpredictable and each outcome more vital to the success of each team’s season.

“It was kind of weird watching basketball again after the lockout, but I’m glad it’s back on,” Uglietta said.