Baseball looks to first district game

Spring is now in full swing, and baseball season is finally setting into focus. The varsity baseball squad has begun its preparation for the season, which will begin with tonight’s match-up against West Springfield.

Coming off of a sixth place finish in the Patriot District, Head Coach Ron Abrigo’s expectations are higher this year and include more than the district playoffs.

“While this year we expect to finish in the top four in the district, we hope the season will continue on to the Northern Region playoffs,” Abrigo said. “In order to do that, we need to pitch well and play solid defense in every game.”

However, as with every season, the Atoms will face stiff competition in the Patriot District.

“Lake Braddock, as always, will be the most competitive team to play and hardest to beat,” Abrigo said.

Abrigo hopes that the team’s returning players, notably senior Tyler Schwartz and juniors Matt Stevens and Michael Hennessey, will be able to lead the team to success.

“If we want to have a successful season, we are going to need uncanny leadership from these three guys, and I expect nothing less that that,” Abrigo said.

While Abrigo does expect strong leadership this year, the loss of two key players from last year’s team, Jake Barnes and Eric Reynolds, may or may not put a dent in the team’s success. Barnes was the team’s most consitent hitter last year and Reynolds was one of the key pitchers on the team.

“Losing talent like Barnes and Reynolds and the leadership they showed will be tough and hard to replace, but we have a strong group of seniors who I expect will show leadership this season,” Abrigo said.

Abrigo’s positive outlook on the team’s leadership seemed to translate to players on the team.

“We have enough juniors and seniors on our team who will be able to step up this season and show leadership,” Stevens said.

This outlook for the season could be another key to the team’s success, which only they can control.

No less important is the players’ view on how this season can be a successful one in which they are able to reach their goal. Senior Ryan Smith shared his view on how the team can reach its goal.

“If we can make the right plays most of the time and be able to close out games, we not only expect to finish in the top four in the district, but we’ll win games,” Smith said.

The team is focused on fixing common mistakes and mishaps to make a run in the Patriot District.

“Not making careless errors and pitching well will be critical in order for our season to be a success,” Stevens said.