Baseball trails in district

oser to districts and, with over half of the season completed, the competition looks to get even more intense as they prepare for district playoffs. Practices are becoming far more intense and nothing less than a strong finish in expected. Getting ready for districts, much like the overall season has been, won’t be easy.

Head Coach Ron Abrigo’s expectations from the beginning of the season, which included finishing in the top four of the Patriot District, haven’t exactly fallen into place with how the team has actually done.

“Throughout the season we’ve been inconsistent, haven’t been mentally tough and have not played with the strength that I expected we would have and need,” Abrigo said. “Overall we have played completely different than I imagined.”

He continued to explain the team’s other faults during the season.

“We haven’t competed as well as I expected, our team chemistry on the field has been subpar and the number of errors we have made is far beyond what I expected,” Abrigo said.

Players from the team were no less explanatory about the team’s failure to meet its preseason goals. However junior Joey Rainey, a two year veteran of the Varsity team, felt more optimistic about the season than Abrigo.

“While our season has been a struggle so far, I think we will come together in time for districts, and hope to make it far in the playoffs,” Rainey said. “I believe our key players Pat McCann, Tony Hysjulien, CJ Aftergut, Ryan Smith and Tyler Schwartz will bring leadership to the team when it matters most and help us finish the season strong.”

Senior Tony Hysjulien had optimism similar to Rainey about finishing the season, while being more focused on beating the competition.

“Hopefully we can finish strong and knock some teams out of the district playoffs, including Lake Braddock,” Hysjulien said. “At this point, finishing in the top four of the district isn’t within our reach.”

With all of the mishaps that have led to a struggling season, Abrigo still expects the team to finish off the season with all that they have left.

“While it would have been nice to finish in the top four, our inconsistency and errors prevented us from attaining that,” Abrigo said. “I expect to finish out the season strong, make a strong playoff run and compete well while we’re at it.”