Gymnastics getting ready for the season

Luke Elkins, Sports Editor

After a last place finish in the district last year, the gymnastics team will be looking to improve their performances this year.
Their season begins on Dec. 1 with a meet against Fairfax High School.
Senior Alichia House is in her third year on the team, and she believes they have a better chance at success this year.
“I think that we’ll do well this year, there are a lot of new people that need to learn the basics, but I think we’ll do well,” House said. “I think we have a better coach this year. I think we’ll improve.”
In previous years, the gymnastics team has struggled with having enough people to fill out the squad. But that is not the case this year.
This year, they have enough players to fill up the squad.
“My team goals are to have everyone at least do one event this year,” House said. Her goals are explained by the lack of players in previous years, so it is a very realistic goal for this year.
House also set goals for herself to achieve during the season.
“My personal expectations for the season are to work on my tumbling, get a higher score and improve from being last last year. I also want to improve on my floor routine,” House said.
Against Fairfax, the gymnastics team will be looking to start their season on a positive note.
It is widely stated that momentum is very important in sports, and the gymnastics team will be looking to generate positive momentum at their first meet.