After Rough District Match, Golf Heads to Regionals

The Golf teams's Defeat and Delay at Districts

Jane Elkins, Staff Writer

The Annandale Golf team has had a rough season. With no wins so far, it was uncertain that they would win in Districts this past week.

Rainy weather at the Pohick Bay Golf Course played a part in postponing the District Tournament from Monday and Tuesday, September 24th  and 25th, to Thursday and Friday, September 27th and 28th. Even after the delay, poor conditions still impacted the players.

“The conditions on the course were so terrible” Freshman Kate Chrestman said “It was very rainy and it made it hard to get crisp contact with the ball.”

The match was played on Thursday, even through the rain, but was canceled on Friday because the courses’ quality was atrocious. Unfortunately, the match was not rescheduled due to the upcoming Regionals.

Another Freshman on the team, Nicholas Lemons, said “It started pouring halfway into the match and the course also got really muddy”.

The team ended up coming in last place overall.  Regionals are coming up and going into it with nothing but losses will be a challenge for the team.

“We practice a lot at the Pineridge golf course and the Four Seasons range.” Chrestman said “Each practice we work hard to perfect our swing and it definitely helps us get better as a team”

Although their results have been disappointing, it is very important to consider that the team has versed some of the best golfers in the state and have still been able to remain competitive.

It’s been a year of growth for the team since they lost many talented seniors. They are now mostly comprised of sophomores and freshman, while many of their opponents have more upperclassman.

Hopefully, their hard work during practices will pay off and lead to a better result in Regionals.

Jane Elkins, Staff Writer

Freshman Jane Elkins is currently a staff writer for the A-Blast. This is her first year on the A-Blast. Jane enjoys to play sports and...

1 Comment

One Response to “After Rough District Match, Golf Heads to Regionals”

1. Joyce E patterson on October 7th, 2018 7:24 pm

Think Jane will be an asset as a reporter.