“Goal for Gold”

Walking into Clausen Hall, all a visitor could see were finely dressed students. Most girls sported spring dresses because of Monday’s warm weather and boys wore their suits. As you looked around, you saw dozens of Personal Projects encompassing three walls.

As Noah Fitzgerald talked about the success of all of the student’s Personal Projects and their dedication throughout the process, it was hard to miss the twinkles in the eyes of many joyful parents. This was especially apparent during the certificate ceremony. Debbie Aderton, sophomore, also made a speech encouraging her fellow classmates to “make a goal for gold”. This was especially apparent during the certificate ceremony. It was easy to tell who each student’s parents was because they always clapped extra hard for their child.

Almost a dozen parents stood proudly while taking pictures of their beloved children; after all, they had received their MYP Certificate. Over a substantial period of time, forty-some sophomores completed their hours of community service and their Personal Project, in order to be able to participate in the Middle Years Program (MYP).

The ceremony was held during both flexes and after a few speeches made by fellow classmates, participants and their family members got in line for delicious snacks. While they drank orange juice and ate blueberry and cinnamon bread, they walked around Clausen Hall admiring all the Personal Projects that were put up.

“I’m really glad I came here today, I’m really proud of my daughter, she worked very hard for this and it shows she is an outgoing student,” Magda Montevilla, mother of sophomore Nicole Montevilla said.

During the group photo, all the parents stood up and tried to take the students picture so that they could have a reminder of  an important part of their child’s high school experience.

The certificate ceremony took a while because of the great amount of students that received the award. Each participant nervously walked across the room to receive their certificate.

“I was so nervous and I thought I was going to trip because my high heels were heavy. I was one of the first to receive the certificate and I had to wait up there for the longest time and I didn’t really know what to do,” sophomore Alisa Askovic said.

By the 10:00 am, most parents were getting ready to leave and some took their child’s poster home. Participants chatted with each other until it was time to clean up. Some went to change out of their fancy clothes and into jeans and t-shirts.

“My heels and dress were just too uncomfortable and I have P.E. next and I don’t want my feet to hurt the rest of the day,” Montevilla said.