What are you allergic to?

As allergy season looms just around the corner, many students are preparing for the worst: itchy eyes, runny noses and sinus pressure strong enough to fuel a plane across the Atlantic Ocean. Many, however, remain unaware as to the causes of their allergy symptoms as well as their potential remedies. This guide focuses primarily on outdoor allergies, which are known to spring up every…well, spring.

Mold Spores

These tiny airborne particles are produced by microscopic organisms, which break down organic matter, commonly called fungi. Mold spores mainly cause coughing, wheezing, a dry throat and may further aggravate asthma-sufferers. Mold is a type of fungi and scientists have recorded over 90,000 different species to date. This makes diagnosing the specific type of mold spore that you are allergic to incredibly difficult for most allergists in the medical field. When fighting off mold allergies Claritin is your best bet. This over-the-counter medicine is a loratadine antihistamine that help stop with the itching and sneezing side affects of allergies. It works by blocking histamine in your body. Histamine is a chemical that is released in your body by your immune system. When Claritin enters your body it stops the receptors that recieve histamines, therefore stopping allergy symptoms.

Pollen

This ultra-fine powder originating from flowering plants packs quite a large punch for its microscopic size. The reason that the springtime is so difficult on your allergies is because flowers and plants, such as oak and hickory, begin to bloom. This blossoming spreads pollen throughout the air and affects people’s immune systems, which  are not yet adjusted to the sudden influx. The antibodies in charge of keeping us healthy then begin to attack the foreign pollen deposits that enter in through the nasal passages and mouth. This attack then causes sore throats, runny noses and compromised breathing.For pollen allergies, Nasonex is the way to go. Although this is a prescription medicine, you only need to take nasonex once a day to fight off all your symptoms. This medicine is the only prescription nasal spray that is approved by the FDA to prevent allergy symptoms and stop thier affects at the same time. Nasonex contains an corticosteroid which controls the bodies inflammatory reactions. Many nasal allergies are caused by inflammation of the nasal passages.

Dust Mites

They do not call it spring cleaning for nothing! Dust mites are a major player in the allergy battle, as they cannot be seen by the human eye, but lurk inside bedding, carpet, and other upholstered furniture not regularly washed. These little critters are related to arachnids and feast on dead, human skin cells. Because dust mites prefer warm environments, they begin to resurface around the spring season and wreak havoc on those who are allergic to them. The best way to  get rid of these pesky creatures is to regularly wash your clothes and sheets and dust in every room. Dust mite allergies can be best treated with Zyrtec. This medicine is available over-the-counter and by an prescription. Zyrtec is also an antihistamine that works well treating symptoms like a runny nose, sneezing and itchy or watery eyes. Zyrtec works by blocking the histamine receptors that cause allergy symptoms. This medicine does not help with nasal congestion because it is not a decongestant but with a prescription you can get Zyrtec-D, which is combined with a decongestant.