The North Face Gets a New Face

Amid the sea of students making their way from class to class in the halls every day, it is not uncommon to see people sporting many jackets and backpacks with the familiar upward-curving three small stripes that mark the logo of the widely recognized brand, The North Face.

One thing that is not seen as often, but is slowly becoming more popular, is an alternate logo, with two small stripes curving downward. This brand, The South Butt, has been turning heads since its creation in 2007 by Jimmy Winklemann, a teenager from Missouri.

“I think [The South Butt] is really funny,” sophomore Skye Lindberg said. The brand was created because Winklemann wanted to encourage people to look outside the box, according to a report on the ABC News website. Their logo, “Never Stop Relaxing,” mocks The North Face’s “Never Stop Exploring.”

“I really want one because they make me laugh,” junior Bekah Zorn said. Besides being entertaining, the apparel offered is more affordable than its competitor. The Denali Fleece Jacket, one of the most popular items from The North Face, sells for $165, while fleece jackets sell for $70 from The South Butt.

“I like it because it’s unique and it’s a funny pun off The North Face apparel,” sophomore Julia Copenhaver said, who owns a South Butt shirt. While some students see it as just a pun, others do not.

“I think that The South Butt shouldn’t be sold because it is an idea stolen from the original The North Face. It’s selling without the consent of the owner,” junior Amiel Terry said. The North Face took this further.

According to ABCnews.com, in late 2009 they threatened to sue Winklemann for trademark infringement. Though he has not backed down, responding with an offer that The North Face could purchase The South Butt for $1 million. Since then, he has withdrawn the offer and no further legal action was taken, although tension is still high between the companies.

For now, The South Butt remains an interesting idea created by a student that is gaining recognition across the country