High school hangouts

Tidal Basin Paddle Boating

If you are looking for a quiet and peaceful place to catch up with friends, try Tidal Basin paddle boating in Washington, D.C. This man-made inlet is situated alongside the Jefferson Memorial and provides stunning views of the monument. Two passenger boats are available for rent for $12.00 an hour. However, if you are going in a group, Tidal Basin also offers four passenger boats for $19.00 an hour.

Make a day of paddle boating and go out to lunch at a nearby restaurant or pack a lunch and it eat on the National Mall lawn, only a few blocks away from the Tidal Basin boathouse. Paddle Boats are available for rent from 10:00 a.m. until 5 p.m. from Wednesday to Sunday. The Tidal Basin boathouse closes for the season after Columbus Day Weekend so do not wait to go try this fun activity. Grab a friend and head into the D.C. for the day!

Fairfax Ice Arena

Although school has just begun, you can take advantage of all the fun winter has to offer at Fairfax Ice Arena. Located just ten minutes up Little River from AHS, it has every ice activity one could think of. With lessons, hockey, public skating, parties, groups, and fundraisers there is something for everyone to enjoy. It is the perfect place to meet up with friends, casually skate and catch up. 

For approximately ten dollars, this is great alternative to an unreasonably priced movie theater, where you sit in silence for two hours instead of making new memories. If you go with a group of seven or more you can receive tickets at a reduced price. Ice-skating is a considerably wallet-friendly outing, costing around of 55 for a two-hour session. If you’re looking to make an entire evening out of it, grab a bite to eat at one of the many restaurants nearby such as First Watch and Noodles and Company.

National Harbor

This is the perfect activity for a large group of friends on a Saturday night and has features that both guys and girls will enjoy. Just a quick drive down the beltway brings you to this ultra-trendy waterfront along the Potomac River. 

The marina is packed with new restaurants, ranging from upscale steakhouses to Peeps & Company candy store. There is plenty of room to run around and explore the sculptures along the beach. If you are not up for walking and you are willing to pay a little extra, hop on a Segway tour of National Harbor, which are offered both during the day and at sunset.

The Gaylord National Resort recently opened nearby and offers an excellent array of concerts and entertainment for all tastes. On Sunday nights, outdoor movies are featured on a jumbo screen up all the way through the month of September. For a limited time, Cirque de Soleil will be performing in one of the National Harbor arenas. Visit www.nationalharbor.com to learn more about all of the various activities National Harbor has to offer.

AMF Annandale Lanes

When looking for a place to reunite with friends lost in the shuffle of summer look no further than a mile from AHS. Annandale Lanes is a longstanding, local business, home to some of Annandale’s most prominent bowlers. However, after 9 p.m. when the lights get turned down and the music starts thumping, the atmosphere quickly turns from family fun into the ultimate teen hangout. 

Across the Little Run Shopping Center, this hidden secret is definitely the right place to go after a football game or on a Saturday night. Annandale Lanes is more then just a place to casually bowl. It offers ample space for parties and extreme bowling, which is perfect for beginners. Annandale Lanes is reasonably priced and is the perfect environment to talk and reconnect with the friends you haven’t seen in a couple of months.