5 myths of Annandale busted

Korean restaurants dominate

Though it is true that many establishments in the Annandale area are predominantly Korean, there are still plenty of other options if you are in the mood for another kind of cuisine. There is no need to drive all the way out to Fairfax or Springfield; there are plenty of diverse restaurants in the heart of Annandale.

Food Corner Kabob offers Afghan cuisine and has many different menu items for meat-lovers and vegetarians alike. Chicken Pollo is another popular spot, with long lines often circling out the door due to its popularity. They offer Peruvian-style roasted chicken, fried plantains and yucca, along with many other tasty delicacies.

There are no places to shop

Around this area, mega-malls such as Tyson’s Corner and Fair Oaks rule the shopping sphere. However, why waste precious gas when there are plenty of hidden gems located in Annandale just waiting to be discovered? Ce Ci’s is a hidden consignment shop located near the Popeye’s along Little River Turnpike. Its racks are filled with name-brand designers in excellent condition.

Ann Sandra’s is another destination to meet your shopping needs. The store sells all Vera Bradley products and recently received an influx of new merchandise for the spring. If you are in need of graduation presents for friends and family, you should keep this store in mind.

Boredom runs rapant

When bowling at the AMC lanes simply doesn’t cut it anymore, try out something completely different with friends. All you need is a microphone and a little bit of courage, and you’re all set for Karaoke night! Café Muse boasts a large number of songs that you will surely recognize, along with weekend “regulars” that can’t seem to get enough of the singing action.

Ara restaurant is another well-known karaoke establishment. Prior to your singing escapades, you can dine on their Korean fusion cuisine that won’t cost more than $10 per entrée. If you’re not that into the idea of singing, at the very least you can enjoy a night reveling in the potential embarrassment of all your friends.

The streets aren’t safe

Dark alleyways, hooded figures and gang fights on every corner: these are the images that many associate with Annandale after dark. Parents shouldn’t fret about allowing their students to go out with friends on weekends because Annandale has one of the lowest crime rates in the nation for a city of its size of approximately 55,000. Violent crimes, which include rape, assault and armed robbery, only happen to 0.3% of every 1,000 residents.

In fact, the violent crime rate in Annandale rings in far lower than the average median rate of all Virginia cities. The stereotype that exists in the city of Annandale is the same fallacy that is projected onto AHS, which we all know is untrue.

Breakfast is scarce

The last thing you want to do after a fun night out with friends is drag yourself out of bed to drive around trying to find a decent place to grab breakfast. Lucky for you, Annandale has some great options if you’re looking for a bite to eat. Juke Box Diner is our favorite, with a classic menu that will quell all of your cravings. They’ve got the typical pancakes, waffles, omelets, and sides. This is the perfect spot for a large group of family and friends.

If you’re looking for something slightly more unique, try Sunset Grille. They offer delicious breakfast burritos and sandwiches, along with many personalized menu options.