The perfect Mother’s Day

Breakfast in bed, fresh picked daisies and a card signed “I love you, Mom” make the ideal gifts for Mother’s Day. But, in order to really dazzle your Mom in celebration of your appreciation for all that she has done this Mother’s Day, you must think bigger.

To start off the day, you can take your Mom out to breakfast or brunch. Most restaurants and cafes have special discounts on Mother’s Day, allowing you to treat your Mom with her favorite foods even if you are on a tight budget. But, fair-warning, due to the discounts and holiday commotion, most restaurants will probably be packed with many other people who have the same idea. This will cause you to have to plan ahead of time and get to the restaurant early or make reservations if necessary.

If you are not one for waiting in long lines, try having a picnic. With the gorgeous Springtime weather it is easy to assemble a basket full of simple sandwiches, some fruit, and a bowl of home-made salad. You can eat your outdoor feast in your backyard or head up to Lake Accotink for some serene scenery.

After breakfast, you and your Mom can go on an adventure together to participate in an activity that she would enjoy. If she likes to help others, you can take the metro to D.C. to participate in the Walk to Empower sponsored by Y-ME National Breast Cancer Organization. The event will take place from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., and will begin at the National Mall in D.C. You can register to participate in the walk when you get there.

After the walk, you can take your Mom to see the U.S. Botanic Gardens at the National Mall, across from the U.S. capitol. Or, if your Mom would prefer to take a more educational route, you can take her to the Gadsby’s Tavern in Old Town, Alexandria. The tavern is a small antique and history museum, which will be offering free tours from 12 – 5:00 p.m. for Mother’s Day. It also has a restaurant in it, so you can end your day with another meal with your Mom on her special day.