From bored to beneficial

Spend your weekends doing good deeds for others in your community. Listed below are some places where you can lend a hand and volunteer.

Museums:

The local Washington, D.C. area has an abundance of museums where you can volunteer. Volunteer opportunities are available at museums such as the United States Holo

caust Memorial Museum, the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum,the National Museum of Natural History, the Newseum and American Art Museum.

Qualifications:

-Must be at least 16 years old

-Must have customer service and communication skills

-Must have patience and compassion in order to deal

with the delicate subject

-Must be willing to commit your time to volunteer work

-Must successfully complete a training course

-Must be enthusiastic

How to become a volunteer: Complete and submit an application from the website of the specific museum you are interested in volunteering

Libraries: 

George Mason and Kings Park Libraries are always looking for volunteers who are willing to stock and organize books on shelves. Volunteers will also help people find books located at other library branches in the community. Working hours are flexible, which is great if you have a busy school schedule.

Qualifications:

-Must have exceptional organization skills

-Must be welcoming to people entering and exiting the facility

-Must be patient

-Must be able to use a computer

How to become a volunteer:

Visit the front desk of your local library if you have an interest in becoming a volunteer.

Soup Kitchens:

Every day there are people left stranded on the streets without food or shelter. As a volunteer, you can help these people by providing a plate of freshly prepared food for them. A warm meal is especially appreciated as the weather is beginning to become colder. And the smiling faces of those you serve is sure to warm your heart.

Qualifications:

-Must know how to prepare food

-Must bring own food

How to become a volunteer:

Gather a group of family and friends, and call or visit a local soup kitchen to request to volunteer.

Human Society:

The Humane Society of Fairfax County (HSFC) will allow you the opportunity to help animals in need. The HSFC provides events and activities for volunteers, such as the Fairfax City Festival on Oct. 8, which will be held at George Mason University. Volunteers will be socializing with and/or transporting animals.

Qualifications:

-Must be at least 15 years old

-All minors must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times during volunteer hours

-Must attend an orientation

-Must be sociable and respectful with people

-Must be compassionate towards the animals

-Must assume the risk of being bitten, scratched or further injured by any animals housed by the HSFC

How to become a volunteer:

Complete and submit an application from the HSFC website. Minors must have their parent or guardian complete and submit an application as well.

Schools:

Help out your favorite elementary, middle or high school teacher. Whether it is grading papers, filing work or tutoring, teachers appreciate any kind of help they can get. Even if you are not the most patient person when working with kids, there are always several school events going on that involve hands-on work like setting up a bingo night or sock hop. You can also help teachers organize and grade papers.

Qualifications:

-Must be enthusiastic if working with young children

-Must have high organizational skills

-Must be patient

How to become a volunteer:

Visit a local elementary school for more information or ask any teachers at AHS if they are in need of assistance.