Face your greatest fears

Would you rather encounter ghosts in costume or ghosts in existence? Below are three fright fests and three actual frightful places that can be explored if you dare.

Six Flags

The evil underworld has risen from the ground and taken over all Six Flags parks. The apocalypse will be held on Oct. 21-23 and Oct. 28-30. General admission at the gate for the park is $56.99 or ranging $28.50 to $36.99 if you pay online, for a one-day pass. Cautiously walk over the Bridge of Terror, tour the Backwords Bloodshed, visit evil creatures in the Carn-Evil, steer clear of pirates from the Skull’s Revenge and shuffle your way through the western Ghost Town. All of your favorite roller coasters will also take part in this spectacular night of frights. The Demented Tower of Doom, Roar Monster Mine and Superman: Ride of Steel are just some of the twisted rides that will be possessed for the night.

Location: 13710 Central Ave,

Upper Marlboro, MD 20774

www.sixflags.com/greatAdventure/index.aspx

Fields of Fear

As a cool breeze starts to pick up and night falls that make up spooky critters creep and crawl throughout over 20 acres of Cox Farms’ Fields of Fear. At the event, you can take a stroll through the Cornnightmare and into the Vortex, Crypt Hall of Whisperers, Haunted Library Back from the Dead, Bug Room and Claustrophobia. Then you can give your feet a break and hop on the Dark Side Hayride. Be warned, this particular hayride will take a journey through a misty graveyard and may involve aliens and witches. Aside from the scary entertainment, you can also grab a tasty bite to eat by a warm bonfire. The event will be held on Oct. 21-22 and Oct. 28-30 from 7:30 – 11 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at the gate for $13 a piece.

Location: 15621 Braddock Rd

Centreville, VA 20120

www.coxfarms.com/fear

Fright Night

With every step you take, the crackling of twigs under your feet will send a chill through your body on Fright Night. You will be led by a guide through the nearly pitch-black trails of Ashburn,Va, where multiple scenes and haunting figures will keep you on your toes. The trail will take approximately 30 minutes. All proceeds from the event will benefit the Community Youth Center, which created and built the event. Individual tickets can be purchased for $20 online or at the gate. The event will be held on Oct. 21-22 and Oct. 28-30. All participants are required to fill out a waiver beforehand, which can be found online or at he gate.

Location: 19790 Ashburn Rd,

Ashburn, VA 20147

www.thefrightnight.com

Woodlawn Plantation

What is more scary then furniture moving on its own? At the Woodlawn Plantation it has been said by various staff members that during the night while no one is inside the plantation, things appear to end up outside of the house or in a completely different area then where it originally was. The doors open and close by themselves several times throughout the day by what staff believes is the paranormal. Besides the plantation itself, it has been said that the ghost of George Washington’s granddaughter comes out every once in a while to roam around the plantation. This upcoming November 1st, there is a planned restoration for the plantation meaning it will be closed to the public but that still gives you time to check it out during the Halloween season.

Location: 9000 Richmond Highway

Alexandria, VA 22309

www.woodlawn1805.org

Bunny Man Bridge

There are many rumors about the origins of the haunting of Bunny Man Bridge. One theory proposes that there was a bus accident by the bridge. Unfortunately, the bus had tipped over and many people had been injured. The police came to get everyone out but there was one man missing named Douglas Grifon. During a search for Grifon, detectives and police kept finding half-eaten rabbits around the scene. After the search had been put to rest, locals decided that it was Grifon who had eaten all the bunnies, and named him the “Bunny Man”. Supposedly, nothing actually happens until midnight of Halloween. If you decide to take a chance and visit this bridge, you could be a first hand witness of the Bunny Man Bridge rumor.

Location: Fairfax Station Bridge

Clifton, VA 20124

Round Tree Park

Night and day in this seemingly peaceful park might as well be from different parallel universes – literally. Commoners in the park at nightfall have reported sightings of the ghost of a middle-aged woman carrying her baby. Although, the thought of a woman and a baby seem harmless, that is not the case for this park. The woman has been rumored to enforce slight harm on anyone who even glimpses her way. Legend has it that she only strikes on nights when the fog rises, where she can disappear into the misty atmosphere.

Location: 3311 Annandale Rd,

Falls Church, VA 22042

www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/picnics/roundtree.htm