Tourist for a day

Living only a bus stop and metro ride away from D.C., many of us take the city for granted. Those of us who have lived here for a while have all seen the museums as a kid. We’ve gone on field trips and walked past the sculptures of art and history. But have we really seen everything D.C. has to offer? After all, it is the nation’s capital for a reason.

Plan a day this weekend with friends and family to become a D.C. tourist for a day. You don’t have to book a professional tour, but rather be your own tour guide. Print out a map of D.C., and circle all the places you want to visit. Go to places you have never been before or a couple of places that you haven’t been to in a while.

There is always a ton of things to do and places to go in D.C. The Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument are just a couple staples of our nation’s capital. You can even take a tour through part of the White House. Among the many museums, you can visit the National Air and Space Museum, Holocaust Memorial Museum and the Smithsonian American Art Museum. Aside from the fact that your trip will be educational, the best part about it is that it’s free to tour through the monuments and museums.

“I like the space museum because I like the planetarium,” senior Lolita Jojic said.

If you want to take a break from learning about past cultures and presidents, try visiting one of the local parks. “I like Depaunt Circle because it feels like you’re sitting in the middle of D.C.,” senior Nadia Ennasr said. The parks are full of people performing music and dances, which will enrich your perspective on cultures nowadays while simultaneously providing entertainment. Or you can grab a bite to eat by going to one of the multiple restaurants in the area to get a taste of the different cultures that make up our nation.