Restaurant review: Le Pain Quotidien

As I walked into Le Pain Quotidien in Old Town, Alexandria, I was struck by the quintessential “French” feel of the cafe. Its name means “the daily bread” in French, and the food did not disappoint. The lunch menu included soups, salads, quiches, tartines and various hors d’ouevres plates. I decided to try one of their popular tartines, which are open-faced sandwiches. They offer both meat and vegetarian versions, so I opted for the Avocado Tartine, which was listed as including chickpeas, cucumbers, and a spicy tahini sauce. I eagerly awaited my tarine, expecting to get exactly what I had ordered.

I was pleasantly surprised when my food arrived that the chefs went above and beyond the simple menu description of the tartine. Not only did it include what was listed, it was topped with tomatoes, onions, basil, parsley and a lemon for garnish. The sandwich was served on a decorative flat plate that resembled a cutting board, and a nearby sign encouraged customers to eat it with their hands rather than a fork and knife. It was bursting with flavor and the avocado and tahini sauces were the perfect compliment to the fresh vegetables. For meat-eaters out there, other tartines include Paris Ham & Aged Gruyere, Smoked Salmon and Roasted Turkey & Avocado.

As I was leaving, I strolled past the bakery and pastry section of the store and decided to try a few small treats. I got a mini lemon tart and a blueberry tart, both of which were about the size of a poker chip. They were the perfect size with just enough flavor to satisfy me. I would give Le Pain Quotidien an “A” because it has a myriad of options and is a very quaint place to enjoy a meal. If you are looking for a nice lunch date spot or just a place to relax and enjoy French cuisine, look no further than this cafe.

Le Pain Quotidien

701 King Street Alexandria, VA 22314