Fashion Marketing meets the real world

On Friday, Nov. 20, the AHS Fashion Marketing class took a field trip to the Virginia Commonwealth University school of Fashion Design and Merchandising. The students had “the opportunity to partake in an open panel discussion with VCU professors and alumni who are currently working in the field of design and merchandising” said AHS Fashion Marketing teacher Jessica Raynor.

Every day in class, the Fashion Marketing students sit behind desks and listen to their teacher talk about fashion marketing and merchandising. Going on a trip to a university dedicated to fashion marketing and getting to meet people whose lives revolve around the fashion industry is something the students can not learn in class.

Junior Emily Farsani said, “ I’m expecting to see and get a lot of information about the fashion program they have at VCU and maybe decide to go there for college.”

Not only do the students get to ask questions to people who are heavily involved in the fashion industry, but the class “will be traveling to Carytown, a suburb of Richmond, filled with unique boutique shops. The students will have the opportunity to meet with several of the local business owners while exploring this unique retail area.”

The experience can really make a difference in these fashion marketing students’ lives. Junior Jonathan Gonzalez said, “I think this is going to be a good experience for the students who are actually taking fashion marketing seriously; they are the ones who are going to benefit from it the most, but on the other hand you’re also there to have fun, so you might as well enjoy yourself while you’re there.”fashion