Second annual Coffee House Fundraiser a Success

The Filament Literary Arts Magazine hosted their second annual Coffee House fundraiser on March 17. The Coffee House was planned by Filament students and was a creative way to fund the Filament Literary Arts Magazine.

The Filament Magazine has organized an earlier Coffee House before and has for many years now.

“The staff really wanted a second event because the first one of the year was so successful and to give artistic students a venue to show case their skills,” said English and creative writing teacher Kathleen Dion about having another event, who was also one of the Coffee House coordinators.

“I’ve been in the Filament for the last 2 years and have done the Coffee House for 3 years and each time has had a better turn out,” said senior and Filament member, Catherine Ives.

The Coffee House was fairly similar to the previous both having free coffee and excellent performances. “We tried to keep it the same because it was a great success the first time,” said Dion. “It’s relatively similar but for this one we are more organized and better prepared,” said junior and Filament member, Ashby Nelson.

Many students showed up to support their fellow performing peers, listen to great performances and drink free coffee.

“My friend Raquel was going to perform and I wanted to support her,” said sophomore Sally Abilmona.

For some students, the Coffee House was a new experience. “I’ve never been to a Coffee House before so I wanted to see how it was like,” said senior Bayardo Luna. Others attended because the previous event was very enjoyable. “I attended the first one and had a blast so I decided to come again. I really enjoyed Sammy [Qabazard’s] singing,” said junior Andrea Villarroel.

There were about 15 performances ranging from live music, poetry and story sharing.

When asked about why he wanted to perform, senior Sammy Qabazard, who played with his band “Light Request” and sang a solo, said, “I liked it the last time I performed and it’s a nice way to expose myself musically with some of my classmates.”

There even was returning AHS alumni. Former graduate and Filament editor-in-chief, Travis Valle, came back to perform a short story about a guy remembering his childhood. “I came back to show my support,” said Valle.

The event wrapped up with a final performance by Qabazard who sang and played guitar to John Mayer’s “Who Says.”

“I really enjoyed all the performances and the Filament club did great, exceeding my expectations,” said junior Tatiana Daza.