Egg Drop cracks open creative learning

Today on the football stadium bleachers, physics students were testing how forces act upon an object by dropping eggs off of the sides of the stands. AHS physics teacher Thomas Chorman has been using this hands-on teaching technique with his classes.

“Doing problems all the time can get boring so it’s fun to come outside and see physics in action,” said Chorman.

Students have been working for about a week on building an apparatus that will protect an egg when dropped from various heights of two, four and six meters. They were given very limited supplies- only twenty straws, two sheets of computer paper and one meter of masking tape. Then in groups students strategically built a device that could safely drop an egg without causing any cracks or damage.

“My group didn’t use paper, which was our main flaw and ours ended up breaking,” said senior Kayvon Naghdi.

The Egg Drop was also developed into a competitive event where students get extra credit points for each successful drop.

“I had a lot of fun putting everything together with my group and seeing how my device worked. It was also nice to get the extra credit,” said Junior Waleed Karimullah. Many of the students felt like the egg drop was a fun and interesting way to learn physics, as well as a nice break from sitting in a classroom all day.