Dabbling in the Dark Arts

Greg Simkins finds inspiration in everything around him, from landscapes to flowers and finds special interest in the images he fabricates in his imagination. Simkins refers to a blank canvas as a “sponge” into which he soaks every thought in his head.

Throughout his work, Simkins uses imagery from his childhood, melding together his obsession with Disney and Sesame Street characters and modern designs, reflective of spike pits and cloudy skies.

There also runs a science fiction theme throughout his work that, while familiar, is completely original and manufactured entirely from his mind. Stylistically speaking, Simkins uses the familiar and nostalgic images of Disney characters and childhood symbols to create a contrast within his work, that speaks to both his life and imagination, creating a personal feeling.

The use of such characters creates a lure to his work, which is met with sharp spikes and fantastic creatures which are by no means cute or cuddly.

To the contrary, Simkins creates an intense spooky and haunting mood through his use of exaggeration and manipulation of his characters.

Much of Simkins’ work shows evidence of arduous planning and use of technical skill.

Simkins’ style looks almost computer-like through his use of layers and his incredibly smooth lines and textures.

His work is very controlled. This use of control and smoothness within his paintings counteracts the randomness and seeming disorder.

The confusing imagery is composed in such a way that when the viewer is working their way around and within Simkins’ pieces, there are parts which are intense and jarring, immediately followed by soft or blank space, giving the viewer’s eye a chance to rest.

This is shown in Simkins’ “The Outside.”  Here, the viewer sees an urban theme, in the crumbling wall of graffiti.

Bursting through the crumbling wall are fish and birds from a washed out, “wonderland” landscape.

The lines of the bird and fish draw the viewer’s eye around the piece from the bottom-right corner up through the top-right and on to the upper-left. This image shows a lot of layering and juxtaposition of creatures and themes. Simkins has created a great contrast between the flowing, lucid movement of the fish and bird, and the crumbling, harsh appearance of the graffiti wall.

Simkins, technically, is a great artist. While his imagery may not appeal to all viewers, his technique is impeccable and his skills are copious and advanced.