Artist Spotlight: sophomore Jyzel Raquepo

Jyzel Raquepo
Jyzel Raquepo playing on her personal guitar.

When did you start playing the guitar?
I started playing in my freshman year. I was looking for an elective and the class looked interesting.

Why did you start playing the guitar?
After I finished the course, I fell in love with playing the guitar. I decided afterwards that I want to continue playing it in the future because it was fun and therapeutic.

Have you always been interested in playing the guitar?
Yes, I’ve always been interested in playing the guitar because my brother used to play too. Watching him play it made me curious because he enjoyed it so much. After he stopped playing it, he gave it to me and that’s when I decided to try it out. I started playing last year after signing up for the elective and I’m glad I did.

What is the best part about playing the guitar?
The best part about playing the guitar is learning new songs because it’s fulfilling and challenging. It’s something that is new for me so I am learning a lot.

What is your favorite song to play?
Currently my favorite song to play is The Bug Collector by Haley Henderickx. I like playing this song because it sounds nostalgic and peaceful because of the soft notes used. It feels good to play this song when I am in the mood for it.

How do you practice?
I practice hand coordination with both hands and sight reading. These are two skills that can help me learn music easier and faster so I work on improving them the most. I find my resources on Youtube and google.

What is your favorite thing about playing the guitar?
My favorite thing about playing the guitar is when I successfully learn a song from start to finish. I get a lot of satisfaction from achieving my goal. All in all, the feelings I get when I master a new song is very rewarding.

Has playing the guitar impacted your life in any way?
Playing the guitar helped me become more productive because it encouraged me to give myself free time to play. Additionally, playing it is very calming and takes me away from the stress.

Where do you find inspiration?
I find inspiration in guitarists that I see in social media. Seeing them encourages me to improve my skills and work harder.

What advice would you give to someone who wants to start playing the guitar?
My advice I’d give to someone who’d want to start playing guitar is to learn music theory because it makes learning music easier. I was much more confused when I first started because I didn’t know anything about this and learning it has made my experience so much better. Don’t let this discourage you though, you can make the guitar into anything you want, so don’t worry about anything and just do it!