Art for Charity

Nestled at the intersection of Union and King Streets in Old Towne Alexandria, the Torpedo Factory is known for many things.

The Factory houses sculptors, visual artists, textile artists and a variety of stand-alone galleries that can be viewed by the public daily.

On Friday, March 25, the proprietors of the torpedo factory and other local artists used their creativity for a greater cause.

The Torpedo factory showcased over 200 pieces with the intention of selling them for $100 each in order to raise money for the March of Dimes charity organization. This organization supports research to prevent premature birth and other subsequent birth defects.

Participants in the show were given ten inch square panels on which to paint, draw, sculpt, cut, design or make any other modifications as their own piece of art.

Other games and activities at the event also helped to raise more money for the March of Dimes. Overall, the Torpedo Factory raised over $20,000 for the charity.

AHS alum of 2009 Elinore Pretsch entered the show with her photographic transfer titled “Talking in Circles.” Pretsch now studies photography at Shepherd University and entered the show both in support of the charity and as a way to exhibit and sell her work. Her piece was sold before the show started, along with another handful of other works.

“I thought this show would be a great resume builder and it is really exciting to sell my work, even if I don’t get the money,” Pretsch said. “I am really psyched because someone liked my art enough to buy it and hang it in their house.” The majority of the entrants’ pieces were sold during the show.