The Art of Songwriting

Follow these step-by-step instructions that lead you on your way to write an original song of your own.

1. Get Idealistic

Observe your life and surroundings and think “what is it that interests me?”, “what catches my attention in life?” (It may be helpful to have a creative title before you start writing, as it will help you build around the song’s central idea as you begin to write and compose).

2. If you play an instrument…

Play around on the instrument you have chosen to write the song with to begin building the pitch in which you will write/perform the song.
Tip: Chords do not have to be fancy as long as they help to create the mood and sound of the direction you want your song to go.

3. Whether you play an instrument or not, Get Lyrical.

Start constructing lyrics. This is probably one of the most crucial and time consuming components of the songwriting process. Try to ask yourself while writing them, “What do I want to say?”, “Should I creatively interpret my song through complex concepts or do I want to be straight forward about the meaning behind my lyrics?”
Tip: It is often catchier to have a song with some kind of rhyme scheme, rather than one that is free versed.

4. Get melodic

Begin with a melody, as lyrics often come to shape once a melody is created. A melody is not just a simple pattern of notes and beats; your melody should transform your lyrics into an authentic song while directly reflecting the tone and underground meaning of your song. For example, if your song is happy, your melody should probably be upbeat to match the attitude your lyrics are trying to portray.
Tip: Vary pitches throughout your song in order to eliminate boring sequences.]

5. Get conclusive

Once you finish putting together all of the components of your song, make sure that your chorus and verses are tied together by your common theme. Finalize your title and play the song to make sure everything reads and sounds as it should.
Tip: Get a friend to listen to your finalized song and  see if  they can decode your lyrics/melody; if they can understand your underlying message correctly, then you have effectively communicated your song.