A new face for the $50 bill?

Congressman Patrick T. McHenry has issued a formal proposal to Congress to change the current $50 bill from a photo of Ulysses S. Grant to former President Ronald Regan. Reagan, who was in term from 1981-1989 was perceived by many to be one of the greatest presidents in this last century.  Reagan has already been honored in many ways, one of which being renaming of the National Airport to the Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport in Washington, D.C in 1998.

It is essential that Congress stay focused on the more urgent issues facing this country such as health care, terrorism overseas, and two wars, instead of spending valuable time on debating an issue such as this.

Freshman Gwen Levey said, “Bills like this which are introduced into Congress slow down its progress in passing other more important laws.”
Among the dissenters was freshman Nardos Assefa who said, “Congress should focus on other topics, like the huge recession that we are trying to get out of.”

Congress is already behind schedule as a result of the huge snowstorms that closed down the government in Washington, D.C. in February.  While the senators and congressmen in term right now may disagree on many things, most would agree that the economy should take precedence over a face-lift for a piece of American currency.

It is true that President Reagan had a hand in shaping America’s future for the better, but this type of issue should be handled by the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing. This department has had a hand in re-designing the new $5, $10, $20, and $50 bills that are in circulation now. Nonetheless, due to the nature of our times, now is just not appropriate time to address this proposal.

The government gave an updated look to the $50 bill back in 2004. So, if any bill were to be updated, it should be the $1 bill. The $1 bill is in constant use by people all over the world, and according to the U.S. Department of the Treasury, up to 45% of bills produced are $1 bills.

Changing the portrait on the bill would cause many problems for the people currently using U.S. denominations. The U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing’s website, www.moneyfactory.gov, responded to requests to change the portrait on American greenbacks by saying, “Changing the size or portrait figures would not improve security, but it would contribute to potential confusion for the millions of people around the world.” Bills are updated to prevent counterfeiters from being able to easily replicate money. The Congress, whose duty it is to best serve the American people would not be fulfilling its obligation by even debating this proposal.